Legal Help for Traumatic Brain Injury Cases in Columbia
Brain injuries can affect people of all ages, although they are most common in the very young and the very old. Brain and head injuries can drastically alter one’s quality of life. Depending on severity, these injuries can result in:
- Sleep disorders/disturbances
- Loss of critical thinking capacity
- Loss of motor skills
- Memory loss
- Loss of sensory function, e.g. hearing or speaking
The Law Offices of Robert Dodson, P.A. of Columbia is an established personal injury law firm. We assist clients throughout South Carolina with devastating situations such as brain injuries. We provide effective and aggressive representation to hold the party responsible for the injury. We work hard to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
- Brain injuries vary in type and severity:
- Concussion – head injury resulting in a brief loss of consciousness, but with little or no lasting physical effects
- Closed head injury – when a head smashes into an object, such as a windshield
- Penetrating head injury – when an object pierces the skull and breaches the brain tissue. Gunshot head wounds are usually penetrating injuries.
- Anoxic brain injury – an injury where oxygen is cut off from the brain, causing permanent brain damage. Diving and swimming accidents are the most common causes of anoxic brain injuries.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) – the most catastrophic of the brain injuries, which includes:
- Tearing of nerve tissue
- Brain bruises from the inside of the skull
- Brain stem trauma
- Swelling of the brain, or edema
Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries
Roughly 1.5 million people in the United States suffer from a TBI each year. This pandemic prompted a recent revamp of the TBI Act in Washington which allots more money to the Department of Health to improve the services for TBI victims.
Some of the most common causes of TBI include:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Slip and falls can cause TBI, most commonly in the elderly
- Violent shaking, as in shaken baby syndrome
- Military action
- Medical malpractice
At the Law Offices of Robert Dodson, we make sure you get the compensation and the help you need. We often refer our clients to neuropsychologists and special treatment centers. We are your advocates for justice, and we work hard to win compensation for your devastating injury.